APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:27:54 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:35:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "The need for two displays and video IO to a client monitor...even in offline bays. Connectivity to servers. That little trash can did NOTHING to contain any mess. The amount of cables coming off that thing was embarassing, unsightly. And they got hot hot hot. "

Hmm... I work with one nearly every day. I have i/o and additional connected items. In fact, with the help of BMD i/o and a dock, I'm running three connected displays, plus a video monitor. It's not really any more messy than the back of a cheese grater. Plus I've seen some very good rackmount versions.

Mine doesn't run hot at all. Certainly less than an iMac. This is with a lot of 4K original in Premiere and AE and Resolve. Hardly ever kicks in the fans. There IS a problem with the GPUs and Adobe apps, but that's because only Apple apps are optimized for the dual-GPU configurations.

My main complaint is with the Thunderbolt connectors. They are terrible - and this seems to happen on all machines - they easily become disconnected and fall off or get pulled off. So Thunderbolt 3/USB-C is a definite improvement.

But, in regards to your original concern, I am currently doing that with the iMac Pros, too. And actually fewer do-dads, because I have 10GigE built-in.

[Shane Ross] "And Resolve. And more and more Resolve bays...and online bays in posts houses...are going PC."

But, I think you are making the argument for me. People who want to stay in the Mac ecosystem will like and move to the iMac Pros. People who need a tower and all it offers will go to PC.

[Shane Ross] "No post facility or online bay has an iMac at it's core. Online has demands that like machines with slots, or that are rack mountable."

With all due respect that's sort of an LA 90's/00's-era argument. We deliver online content to networks from iMacs, iMac Pros and Mac Pros. I think if you started from scratch and not legacy installations that were built upon, the hardware mix might be different. Take a look at several of the European facility user stories at FCP.co.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]