APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: iMac Pro thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: iMac Pro thoughts
on Jan 24, 2018 at 7:58:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I kinda have to ask why? Because at least right now, the iMac Pros and even many 5K iMacs deliver better performance."

The need for two displays and video IO to a client monitor...even in offline bays. Connectivity to servers. That little trash can did NOTHING to contain any mess. The amount of cables coming off that thing was embarassing, unsightly. And they got hot hot hot.

I have been in exactly ZERO edit bays/cutting rooms that use iMacs. All are on trash cans, or 2012 towers. The only iMacs I see in the process are on story producers desks.

Performance is one thing...but containing cable mess is also a high priority. And expanded connectivity. It will be interesting to see if ANY iMac Pros pop up in broadcast bays. I'm hearing more rumblings about getting HP Z6 machines or buying 2012 MacPros and upgrading them. We love our towers.

[Oliver Peters] "vid - I don't see, since the bulk of Avid work for film and TV is in the proxy world and MC really doesn't make much use of the GPUs. Any Mac would do. "

Yup...which is why many of us are still on 2012 Mac Pros.

[Oliver Peters] "At least with Premiere and FCPX, you have a lot more people working in original, native media, where the machine performance is critical."

And Resolve. And more and more Resolve bays...and online bays in posts houses...are going PC. Or have 2012 MacPros with external boxes for GPU. Even Trash cans. No post facility or online bay has an iMac at it's core. Online has demands that like machines with slots, or that are rack mountable. iMacs don't offer that. If I hear of one in use I'll let you know. But iMacs are mainly single user edit stations that are self contained.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]