FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: The 'T' word - now Cache-A

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Goldberg
Re: The 'T' word - now Cache-A
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:08:35 pm

Bob, I totally agree that any way you can get your content onto data tape, you are better protected than with hard drives. But, I'd have to take issue with your statement:
[Bob Cole] "add it to the PC, hook into your Mac via the network, and you're done"

What software are you going to use to write to that tape? How are you going to keep track of what content you put on what tape. The challenges associated with finding and recovering a single clip from your archive in such a solution make the effort questionable.

I'd also ask, how long did it take you to source that tape drive? To install it with appropriate drivers? To install and get up and running on your archive software? How much did that software cost? How long to develop an adequate workflow that gets your edit workstation content onto that PC? How much time and effort to archive a complete project? How much is your time worth?

We call this a "roll your own" archiving solution, and I've written a white paper that goes into the approach in more depth (go here to get your copy). Yes, $6k is a lot of money for our entry LTO-4 product, but it solves all of these issues with a single appliance-like box that connects to your network, gives you a dead simple drag-and-drop means to archive anything, keeps track of every file on every one of your tapes, and lets you get back that single clip almost as easily as if it were on a hard drive.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]