FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: The 'T' word - now Cache-A

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Goldberg
Re: The 'T' word - now Cache-A
on Sep 22, 2010 at 11:50:58 pm

Cache-A here... Thank you Bob for helping to spread the word about our products. I'd like to clear up a few minor points here.

How does it handle backups larger than included hard drive?

Users can archive directly to tape from network attached storage or from volumes plugged directly into our systems over USB, eSATA or FireWire (USB only on Prime). This allows a single action to archive a volume of any size spanning as many tapes as required. And, oh by the way, that 20-60GB session note in the manual is out of date - we now handle this automatically behind the scenes (as of v1.2.3 - Bob, please be sure you have this release).

What metadata is available in the searchable user-interface?

In addition to file, folder and tape names, we allow users to add 2 free-form text fields worth of virtually unlimited text to tag any file or folder and to be included in user searches. You can even add metadata to files in the catalog and it will be added back into that tape's TOC (table of contents) when the system next sees it. These facilities will be enhanced further in future releases.

"according to Cache-A, the LTO4 tapes are completely compatible with other LTO 4 appliances"

Unfortunately this is not the case. To the best of my understanding, Bru, like Retrospect, BackupExec and most other back-up applications, write in a proprietary format that can not be read without the software used to write it.
Our tapes are written with the Unix/Linux standard tar format - this means that they can be read by any other system that support POSIX tar (which is any Linux/Unix computer or Macs/PCs with appropriate software installed). Further, we can only automatically read tapes written in another Cache-A system. It is possible to use a Cache-A to read a tar tape from non-Cache-A devices, but this requires a trip to terminal land. Please see our support page for tech briefs on this topic.

Charles, I'm sorry our costs are so high down under, but I can assure you that our distributor there, Intraware, can provide excellent support should you have any problems.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
30201 Rainbow Hill Road
Evergreen, CO 80439
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]