FORUMS: list search recent posts

which LTO6 drive to buy?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rachael Busher
which LTO6 drive to buy?
on Jan 25, 2018 at 5:15:03 am

I'm just trying to scour the web a bit more for any other advice or educated opinions to help me figure out the subject title. ☺ I'm planning on buying an LTO6 drive no later than the Feb-March window. What I can't determine is whether to simply buy based exclusively on price (around $1500 or so when I checked recently) or whether there are any critical specifications or features which would encourage me to get one over the other.

About the only things for sure:
- Less expensive is better unless there's a good reason, i'm still working through college and not doing enough work to justify LTO7 or anything (but have dozens of terabytes of older data i'd rather migrate off, and the economics of LTO6 make more sense than LTO5 at the sweet spot)
- Want to use SAS specifically as a controller, probably favoring external if prices similar
- Ability to write at slower rates (than other LTO6 drives) is a plus but apparently it's a standard they can all do equally well down to 55MB/sec or so?
- Ideal if it works under Win, Mac, and Lin. Would like to be able to back up other systems than just my own. (borrow for friends to use etc, another reason for external)

Are there other questions I should be asking? Features not on all drives? Specifications that differ in some meaningful way? Or are they all basically the same? :-/

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]