FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Skip LTO-7 for LTO-8 in 2018-2019?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Lee
Re: Skip LTO-7 for LTO-8 in 2018-2019?
on Dec 12, 2017 at 1:53:47 pm

>>... a dual LTO-7 drive library. <>Formatting an LTO-7 tape as M8 gives ~8.5TB and is a clever idea, but the fact that it exists suggests that true LTO-8 media will be expensive and/or delayed ?<<

Although it's an economical plan, I'm just not sold on long-term compatibility. Rather stick with the real LTO-8 media than LTO-7 M8 for now until M8 has been proven in the real world for compatibility.

I'll take your advice and won't skip LTO-7 due to large existing LTO-6 tape media.

After further reading, LTO-8 and LTO-6 media are not interchangeable (MP & BaFe), I'm speculating that wide adoption of LTO-8 will be very slow from all of the customers primarily because of backward compatiblity . This in turn will keep the high drive and media prices much longer than normal. 12 Tb native on LTO-8 is very appealing but it also will need further investment of LTO-7 and LTO-8 drives for existing and future tape libraries. I have thousands of LTO-6 tapes which I do not want to discard them to LTO-8. LTO-6 tapes are still very useful for many situations despite the larger # of tapes needed. I'm now spending thousands per month for 12 Tb Barracuda Pro hdds. They're fast but wasteful for less accessed data. Investing in LTO-7 & LTO-8 drives is still much cheaper in the long run when data approaches petabyte scale - which I'll achieve within a year at about 200 Tb/month average.

For my situation, it will have to be LTO-7 for compatibility on LTO-6 media and LTO-8 and beyond for future larger capacity. When LTO-8 is ~$70, I'll migrate from LTO-6 while still using LTO-6 media on LTO-7 drives. This should give me maximum return of investment when LTO-6 was about $100/tape back in late 2013.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]