FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Best backup storage for large media (100+gb cards etc.)

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Dunne
Re: Best backup storage for large media (100+gb cards etc.)
on Jul 11, 2016 at 9:17:25 pm

Hi Craig, I just stumbled on your post and wanted to see where you landed.

We've been using a hard drive/LTO solution for about a year now and it's been working out great.

We backup on hard drives incrementally as well as our LTO tapes through BRU PE. I take the tapes off site and bring them back when I continue to fill the drive (we have more than one project per 6TB drive).

When a project is locked and delivered we take them from our server and make sure the hard drives are up to date (master and backup drive), then do a full final backup on LTO. These are now considered "archives"

It was a little costly to get the LTO system in place but doing the match it made far more sense then any cloud or cold storage solution since you pay per GB on upload/download and monthly. These costs will simply exponentially expand on a month to month basis where LTO 6 tapes are always about $30.

LTO doesn't require redundancy but is part of the redundancy. We have three backups (2 hard drives 1 offsite tape set). One advantage to keeping the projects on drives is access. If you have to export a new version of an old project you wouldn't want to take the time to grab it off the tape, you would just plug in the drive and go from there.

Hope this can help shed some light on things.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]