FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Maytag
Backups sol'ns for multiple Mac environment, low to mid budget
on Dec 28, 2011 at 3:39:14 pm

I've been pushing backup security in my shop, and we've just had a crucial drive failure that will probably result in having to re-do work, client delay, etc. The good news is that we're probably going to be buying a medium-term backup solution pretty quickly.

We're a small nonprofit, 4-5 production macs in a mixed-platform network (macs/pcs/more). Finance is crucially tight, and I'm guessing that we won't get much better than 2-3k to spend to tide us over for about 18-24 months. These three macs are workstation-class, lots of ongoing video & media work on all of them. I'm guessing 6TB is my limit on the bottom end, anything less will be too little, and since we're not all thunderbolt-equipped, we're probably looking either at ethernet or four individually connected storage units, not enough money for fiber solution. A fine pickle!

I have some thoughts on this, but since I know many of you have been in similar situations at one time or another, I'd see if anyone had suggested avenues I might otherwise have missed. Many thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

---
Chris Maytag
Sci. Visualization, Video & Motion Graphics
FCS & CS5

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]