FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: How best to backup our new 5Big 20TB?

COW Forums : Archiving and Back-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Murphy
Re: How best to backup our new 5Big 20TB?
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:03:18 pm

Backup for the system+apps+user preferences = Time Machine, or Apple Software Restore (asr is the CLI command, accessible via Disk Utility for GUI). ASR creates a disk image that you can store on any file system.

Nearline (faster than tape) backup for media files = Carbon Copy Cloner, or equivalent. If you search this forum, within the recent past others have made suggestions for other solutions that also manage organization, including telling you what drive a certain media file is located on. CCC won't do that, it's just a folder/file copy program.

I don't know what you mean by 4 + 4 JBOD, or how you're creating it in OS X. If you mean two 4TB drives in a linear/concat arrangement, so that they're one big 8TB volume, I probably wouldn't do that because it means that any single disk failure effectively means you've lost all of the data on that volume, so it has the same risk as raid0 but without the speed. But if you have 2nd backup or an archiving strategy, then you can of course get away with some additional risk with the 1st backup layout if the linear/concat arrangement makes the workflow easier for you. But if you only have one backup, then no I wouldn't do either linear/concat (JBOD?) nor would I do raid0.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]