FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Canon Lenses

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Colin McQuillan
Re: Canon Lenses
on Dec 18, 2011 at 4:44:09 am

[James Wilhelmi] "Could you please explain why you would choose the 50 f1.4 over the 60 f2.8."

Couple reasons I would pick the 50mm 1.4 over the 60 2.8.

1. The 60 is an EF-S lens, the 50 is full frame. If you ever upgrade to a full frame body like a 5D, the 60mm EF-S lens will not work on it. Glass lasts much longer than a camera body. I always go for full frame glass so my lens' work on all bodies. I have known a few who have upgraded bodies leaving them stuck with a few K worth of EF-S lens' they can no longer use.

2. The 50 is faster. f1.4 will give you softer backgrounds on your interviews, and work better in lower light situations. f2.8 is great on a zoom lens, but I always look for faster lens' with primes. Also, most lens' aren't their sharpest when wide open. The 50 @ 2.8 will most likely be sharper than the 60 @ 2.8.

3. Even though it is only 10mm longer than the 50, with the 1.6x crop factor in mind, for my tastes the field of view of the 50 is better framed for interviews.

4. The 50 has an 8 blade aperture, the 60 is 7 blades. The bokeh of the 50 will be somewhat smoother/rounder.

Ultimately go with the lens that you feel will serve your needs best. For my needs the 50 f1.4 is the better lens (if I had the $$ I'd grab the 50mm f1.2L). If you plan on shooting insects or the like perhaps a proper macro lens would be the way to go. As I mentioned in my earlier post it really comes down to what you are going to be shooting.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • Canon Lenses by James Wilhelmi on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:17:40 am
    • Re: Canon Lenses by Al Bergstein on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:55:35 am
    • Re: Canon Lenses by Colin McQuillan on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:03:22 pm
      • Re: Canon Lenses by James Wilhelmi on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:58:26 am
        • Re: Canon Lenses by Colin McQuillan on Dec 18, 2011 at 4:44:09 am

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]