FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: 5D or 7D

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Malcolm Matusky
Re: 5D or 7D
on May 19, 2011 at 6:48:50 pm

I bought the 7d soon after it came out, I still do not regret the decision. I like the camera and use it mostly for HD video shooting. As compared to the af100, that is a totally different camera and price point. I bought the DSLR because I wanted a DSLR, not a video camera. Now that there are adapters to use canon lenses on "video" cameras I still think my decision was right for me.
As I shoot documentary/industrial work, the 5D seemed way to hard to keep in focus at any given f-stop. the 1.6 crop sensor is a good compromise, yet still much larger than a 1/3" chip, about the same size as 35mm film aperture, so I'm OK with the sensor size. If you want an AF100, It's $6K with a lens adapter (Berger)so you can use canon lenses. That may be a future purchase for me, but for the moment I have been satisfied with the 7D and though of getting a HMC-150 to complement it, but still have not bought it as I am able to work within the cameras limitations.
Having started in 16mm film production, working with a 10~12 minute limit is fine with me. I don't shoot endless interviews, I am able to easily start and stop the camera between questions while keeping the audio recorder going. I don't shoot meetings or events that need to be seamlessly recorded, nor do I do multi-camera shoots, I make "films" with an HD video camera, not television, so for me the camera works great. If your needs are for event or "live" programming you would be better off choosing another camera, but as a replacement for a "film" style camera it has worked well.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:
  • 5D or 7D by Marc Lucas on May 11, 2011 at 12:40:27 pm
    • Re: 5D or 7D by Brent Dunn on May 11, 2011 at 4:38:56 pm
      • Re: 5D or 7D by Marc Lucas on May 11, 2011 at 4:48:52 pm
        • Re: 5D or 7D by Brent Dunn on May 11, 2011 at 5:59:11 pm
          • Re: 5D or 7D by Marc Lucas on May 11, 2011 at 10:26:54 pm
            • Re: 5D or 7D by Malcolm Matusky on May 19, 2011 at 6:48:50 pm

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]