FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Should I invest in a new camera body or new lens?

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Al Bergstein
Re: Should I invest in a new camera body or new lens?
on Dec 19, 2016 at 4:34:26 pm

If you are a relative beginner, the best investment you can give yourself is training. While you *can* learn without oversight, it is a shortcut. The fact that you see portrait styles that are better than yours, and you probably would like to be able to emulate them when the right shot is in front of you, means to me that more effort in learning the camera is needed.

I've been in a few excellent workshops that I've never regretted. There are wonderful short workshops given by experts all over the globe, and some do online as well. Taking these and working through exercises to master your equipment will lead to better work in general. By going you will also meet other students that might help you move your career along.

Since I don't know what you want to shoot, I can't answer your question about whether you should buy a camera body or a lens. The answer may be "neither."

Filmmaking is first and foremost in my mind about ideas. Stories. Mastering your technique means you can bring your story to life better. So go surf the net to find workshops, like Chase Jarvis and his work, but not limited to him, that can help you master your gear. You can always rent gear if you need it. You can't rent expertise.

Best of luck. Look forward to seeing you on Vimeo!

Al

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]