FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: DSLR vs camcorder?

COW Forums : Canon DSLR Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Holmes
Re: DSLR vs camcorder?
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:36:06 pm

Well it really depends on your needs. DSLR have pros/cons just like a camcorder.

For instance, the T1i you reference can only shoot 1080p at 20fps. It can do 720p at 30fps. Add to that the fact that the T1i is a nearly 6 year old camera. The sensor technology has changed dramatically since 2008/2009. Also remember that DSLR's have a 12 minute recording maximum on them. To get around this you have to start/stop the camera around that time. So if you plan on recording a 20-minute talking head, I'd steer clear of DSLR's.

With DSLR's the lens on the front of it makes a big, big, BIG difference. You can easily spend far more for lenses than the body of the camera. Keep this in mind as it can also impact your final product. Also, audio on DSLR's is an awful, awful experience (look up Audio Gain Control for DSLR's and you'll get the idea). These cameras are meant as "still" cameras first; movie capabilities were, and to some extent, still are an afterthought.

I'm not saying don't buy a DSLR, but do your homework. Know your product, your delivery method, your shooting times, and your post-produciton pipeline. You may be better served by a "less-sexy" camcorder than by an old DSLR.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]