FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Large (for us) Production coming up, could use some advice!

COW Forums : Field Production

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bruce Watson
Re: Large (for us) Production coming up, could use some advice!
on Mar 21, 2019 at 8:35:36 pm

[Charles Ferran] "So I think a more direct question is: What should I be trying to buy vs rent?

and then ANY advice or experience or knowledge you can point me to would be super helpful to me!"

You won't know what you should own vs. what you should be renting, unless you actually use the stuff for projects like you'll be filming. Makes sense, yes? So first thing I'd do, is rent a grip truck on location. A simple google search pulls up a bunch in DC. Whoever you are renting your cameras from can probably point you in the right direction.

A grip truck is just what you'd think -- a truck full of lights, stands, modifiers, sandbags, gaffer tape, cables, basically everything you need to light whatever you're trying to light. Hardly anyone will rent you a grip truck without the owner of the grip truck being part of the package, and this is usually a good thing. The owner knows what's in his truck and where it is, and usually has bunches of experience. And can probably setup his lights way faster than you can.

After you've done this a few times you'll learn what it is that you're always using, which is the stuff you might want to own. Or you might learn that it's easier and more cost effective to just rent a truck when you need a truck. Much depends on how often you do this, and how mobile you have to be.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]