FORUMS: list search recent posts

Carnet? ProForma? Travel docs for USA

COW Forums : Field Production

Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Johnstone
Carnet? ProForma? Travel docs for USA
on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:25:00 am

Hello Chums,

I have a project coming up that includes a shoot in the US. It's been a long time since I have worked on the other side of the pond so if any one has any tips for travelling with gear that would be appreciated.

When I travel on projects in Africa, Asia & Eurpoe I make do with a Pro Forma invoice, stamped by UK customs on departure from the airport. I have had issues with customs in Ethiopia, but nowhere else. My standard shooting kit is based round a laptop, a Panasonic HPX250 camcorder, Audio kit (inc radios), a simple two head lighting kit for interviews and a tripod. The camera & laptop are carried on in a Petrol bag and the rest goes in the hold with my personal kit. I have had to pay overweight on occasions, but rarely.

For the trip to the US I may upgrade by camera, but only to Canon c300 or Sonny FS7, otherwise I am not planning to take anything more. What paperwork will I need for the US? A full Carnet or will my stamped Pro Forma do?

15 years ago I remember having to travel to Las Vegas with two PAL digi-betas and that required a Carnet. (I actually left the Carnet in the trolley at the airport by mistake, but recovered it at the end of the shoot!) However, the Carnet was very expensive and I'd like to avoid that pain if possible. If I have to repeat that process it would probably be advisable to hire some gear in on arrival. However I have travelled with a small camcorder with no paperwork at all, but again that was a very long time ago.

Has anyone worked in the US recently that could advise?



Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 All Rights Reserved