FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Should I take the role? Audio Trainee

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Suszko
Re: Should I take the role? Audio Trainee
on Aug 19, 2019 at 10:00:45 pm

Nicollete, it sounds like you're doing everything right, and I hope things work out well for you.

I think your idea of learning by doing your own productions also has a lot of merit, because it is in those very situations that you will build a lot of useful problem-solving skills. Anybody with a big budget and high end tools can just throw money at a problem and fix it. It's a different thing to solve an issue that comes up, with only what's on hand, plus some imagination and the experience that comes from having to solve production problems on the spot, versus the classroom work.

The classroom work is valuable, to be sure. But when I think back to my own university experience, I learned the most useful things in the internships and practicum experiences, as a way of *applying* the ideas that i'de read about in class.

If there are pro production rental shops in your area, it would be a good idea to go there and see if you can get some work operating said rental gear for productions that come thru and rent stuff. it isn't the same as working many weeks on one movie, but it can be useful to work a day or three here and there on a great variety of things, especially things like commercials. My experience may be out of date, but I did get some great gigs by getting referrals from the rental place when a customer of theirs wanted a tech or operator for whatever they were renting. You make a lot of contacts that way, and networking will be important to your growing career.

Good luck! Hire me when you get famous and rich.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]