FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Should I take the role? Audio Trainee

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ty Ford
Re: Should I take the role? Audio Trainee
on Aug 11, 2019 at 4:21:31 pm

Hello Nicolette and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

While I'm sure you'd learn a lot of things about the business if you took the position, Audio Trainee is not a position I'm familiar with. Others may come in and give you further ideas.

I'm gonna go with a "Thanks so much, but no. Can I please have your contact information for after I get my degree?"

Disclaimer: I don't have a degree. I'm old. Degrees were not as important when I was younger. I do have an FCC General RadioTelephone Operator's license. It was originally a First Class Telephone Operator's license, but the FCC changed things. I studied for over a year to get that. I also took a course at a local big time recording studio that consisted of 24 one hour teaching sessions. Anyway, enough about me.

As the population grew, employers had to have some way to filter the applicants. They were advised (by academics) that having degrees would do that job. The academics, of course, would be the ones profiting from all of those who felt obliged to pursue a career with a degree.

As a result, things changed over time. In addition to crushing academic debt, we have some people with degrees that only know (or remember) parts of what they were taught. If, along the way, they were not taught to think for themselves, they are pretty limited. That's not to say that you stop learning after school. After school is where you START to learn by practicing your craft. If I don't learn something new at each shoot or session, I get bored. ☺

So, why, since I don't have a degree, do I suggest you stay in school rather than break ranks and become a "TRAINEE?" The workplace can be a fascinating but dangerous place for a woman. I think you'd be safer in school. Please reach out to Jan McLaughlin, jannie.jan@gmail.com. Tell her I sent you and ask for her opinion on your situation.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]