FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Building a Studio next to barking dogs!!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Building a Studio next to barking dogs!!
on Nov 26, 2018 at 5:14:11 pm

Sorry to be late to the party.

When I did my studio conversion, one major win that cost very little compared to regular drywall construction, was to substitute a layer of drywall for one of MDF.
MDF has MUCH more mass than simple drywall.
It's a pain in the butt to work with, since two guys can typically hold up drywall sheets to nail to a ceiling where you can't get a sheet goods jack in place to do the work, but for the crew to do that with MDF, it took FIVE guys to do the same job, but the mass improvement really helped.

I was not far from a commuter airport that landed a good number of small jets - yet I never heard them after my studio was finished.

The shell was (outside to inside) Stucco/Standard exterior plywood/Fiberglass insulation between 4x4 posts (the original hay barn framing)/then a layer of MDF/and finally a layer of standard sheetrock.

Inside that we built what I called "the capsule", a control room with non-parallel sides and the double glass window where I could mix things and had my voice booth - but even in the general studio, the only noise that got into things that could potentially shut down the microphones in the main studio space was an active hail storm.

So In your scenario, three layers of Sheetroock, was one of exterior plywood, one of MDF for mass, and one of sheetrock for the interior finish.

Worked really well.

For what it's worth.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]