FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Should I sell my boom mics and by lavs instead?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ty Ford
Re: Should I sell my boom mics and by lavs instead?
on Nov 4, 2018 at 2:14:25 pm

Technically and practcally, very much so.

The diaphragm of a boom mic is about 1/2" (1.25cm). That's about 10 times bigger than a lav diaphragm. In addition, the housing for the diaphragm, the capsule, has many engineering positives. Small diaphragms don't swing (react to sound) anywhere near as much as the larger boom mic diaphragm. That means the lav's output voltage, referred to as its sensitivity, is a lot lower than a boom mic.Because of this, lavs require more gain and with the gain comes noise.

Lavs are mostly omnidirectional. Boom mics are mostly super or hypercardioid. Lavs pretty much HAVE to be omni when worn that closely. There are directional (cardioid) lavs, but they're only used on certain occasions. Lavs are subject to more placement problems. Even though they are omni, a simple head turn can be heard as a fall off of level. If you're doing narrative work, you need to hide the lav and that can create clothing noise, loss of high frequencies and strange sound, if for example, the lave is placed under the chin in a tie knot or inside the front edge of a shirt collar.

There are other reasons but these'll do.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]