FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Manually Correcting for Audio Drift: what's your favorite way?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Manually Correcting for Audio Drift: what's your favorite way?
on Oct 12, 2018 at 6:08:47 pm

In my many years of futzing with audio for video - I've found that 99 times out of 100 audio drift comes from sample rate mismatches between the camera and the timeline.

If you simply take the source audio file and drop it on a utility like MediaInfo - note the parameters of the recording (taking special note of the recorded sample rate) and set up your video project to match that — drift disappears.

If the field audio was done with setting far from the digital video sampling norms of 48 or 96Khz, (e.g. 32khz) then you MIGHT need a transcode step on the incoming files if your software of choice can't do the repair automatically. But I find that rare. The software folks were aware of the typical sample rates and have algorithms in place to handle most all of them.

There are times, of course, that something is TRULY strange - like an old audio recorder that doesn't have even crystal sync or where bad design allows truly drifting timekeeping - and in those cases, the ONLY real solution is manual re-timing. But thank god I haven't seen that type of situation in twenty years at least.

Just my thoughts.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]