FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Zaxcom TX recording directly micro SDHC vs transmitting over wireless sound quality

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sam Lee
Re: Zaxcom TX recording directly micro SDHC vs transmitting over wireless sound quality
on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:57:20 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lee on Jun 19, 2015 at 3:58:15 pm

Got your responses. With limited funding, I can only start out with 2 Zaxcom products: TRXLA2 and IFB200 and/or the ERX2TCD

I definitely need a huge upgrade from the prosumer Sennheiser G3 evolution. It has been great but the audio quality to my ear is just flat. No depth or nuances. Straight to 2/3" camera with analog XLR is OK but not exceptional. With about $3K in additional spending, I hope audio will improve.

I have three 2/3" cams. The A cam will always be the master TC clock. It'll take the TC out (via BNC) of the 2/3" A cam and feed it to the IFB200's BNC TC in. There it will take that TC and send it to the TRXLA2. There are times where audio recording will not be needed from the TRXLA2 and/or it will be shut off due to the talent going out of range or not utilized. That's why I can't use the TRXLA2 as a master clock to the camera. With the B & C cams, I can use the much cheaper ERX2TCD and with its somewhat fragile 1/8" TRS output to ch1: scratch audio, ch2: TC in. In many ways I'm using the as a substitute for Time Code Buddy where I'm getting TC from other cams. But the added benefit is getting scratch audio for confident monitoring. But will not use it as the final mix.

When budget is available, I'll buy the Nomad 12 along with the QRX235 to be used in a sound bag setup. But when not in a sound bag setup, will use the TRXLA2 as a transmitter and recorder. What I'm confused is there's a cheaper product, which is the ZFR300. It appears that this is designed more like a ISO recorder to micro SD media vs the TRXLA2 where I can use both as a ISO recorder to micro SD media and transmit full fidelity audio at the same time for recording on the Nomad. Can the IFB200 or ERD2TCD gets full fidelity wireless audio, TC & IFB from the ZFR300 for scratch audio/confident monitoring purpose?

The long-term intention of my workflow is able to be flexible and easily integrate into a stand-alone cam mounted setup (no sound person) or a sound bag setup with a dedicated sound person. I'm getting the feeling that the ZFR300 will not be able to do that but not certain yet.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]