FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: What external sound recording devise to get

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Matt Townley
Re: What external sound recording devise to get
on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:35:23 pm

The DR-60D is pretty unique for this class. Other than the few devices already mentioned, I don't know of anything similar in that price range.

When the DR-60D was first released I did a side-by-side comparison of it compared to the Zoom H6. Having used the H4n for several years my biggest complaint was the noisy mic-pre's and the poor and inconsistent battery life.

The H6 has improved mic-pre's compared to the H4n, and they are noticeably more quiet. In my testing, compared to the H6, the DR-60D has about 5db more signal-to-noise. That's pretty good. I also liked the form factor of the DR-60D at first, but after testing it on a few real-life shoots I found it to be pretty clumsy and awkward to have mounted under the camera. I did like the additional output options and controls that it offered compared to the H6, which was nice though. Depending on what you intend to record with it, you might want to test the rotary pots, as they handle volume trimming with digital gain adjustments that can be slightly noticeable during music. Much less or almost no issue if just recording voice/dialogue. I never found that to be a concern or problem for my work, which is almost all voice.

If you can rent a few or even just buy them to test them out and return what you don't like, that's really the best way to go.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]