FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: mixer vs multitrack field recorder

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard Angle
Re: mixer vs multitrack field recorder
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:14:44 pm

I've been looking into the h4n 4-track capabilities but am still a bit concerned about the lack of true line level input. However, I think that with the use of the proper attenuators, this might be a moot point. I'd like to use the mini stereo plug on the back of the h4n to plug in an old stereo BeachTek adapter/mixer for two separate audio tracks. Independent levels could be controlled through the Beachtek level controls. My concern is whether or not I'd be able to take four independent mono line feeds out of a rock show's mixer board and go distortion free into the h4n. I think it is possible with the right cables (balanced vs unbalanced and using 1/4" phono in place of xlr for the XLR two inputs on the unit. I don't know still looking into it.

So I'd imagine that you're pretty happy with your R44 over a premix any and everyday, huh? It just seems to be a no-brainer to take the option of the post mix if you can. Even if the best sound guy on the planet is there, it still makes sense to me to do it. Why not keep them separate if you have the option? In addition, your initial unanswered question of possible quality loss is what grabbed my attention in the first place. And I still have no idea the answer to that question.

Thanks for the response and happy shootin'.

Richard Angle

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]