FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Multiple Mics, Mixing, Etc

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ty Ford
Re: Multiple Mics, Mixing, Etc
on Aug 12, 2010 at 8:53:37 pm

As I said before, someone has to actively mix that as it's being recorded. You can't do that and run >camera.

I guess I should have mentioned, I don't run the camera. I work with a small crew, and we are all kind of new to the game. But there's a director, 1-2 camera operators, script supervisor, assistant producer (exec producer is off set) all on set. What do you mean by "actively mix"? I can't just plug everything in, set the levels, and listen?

------No. You have to turn down mics that aren't being spoken into and turn them back up before they are spoken into. Active mixing. Leaving them all up won't work.

> Not anywhere as good as the Sound Devices 302. You can shoot with a VHS camcorder, if you get >my drift.

I don't really get your drift. We are using a Panasonic AG-HMC150P AVCCAM for the main camera and it has a two channel XLR input. The original budget for a mixer was 150-300. Which was laughable, so a Sound 302 would be out of the question. I think I've got them convinced for at least 550 for the Sign ENG-44. It at least has 4 channels, a tone, a moderate UV meter, etc.

-----If you were here and wanted to buy me lunch while yo picked my brain for an hour as to why a good mixer makes a serious difference in sound quality, that'd work. If you have budget for a tripod, you need to rethink your approach to audio. A ENG-44 is OK as an "I don't care if I fall into the creek" mixer, but you need the 302 and its features to get really good audio.

>Don't know. How good are you?

Considering I've never done anything like that before, probably not very good. I don't know what that would even entail. But I'm a youngster, and learn quick :D. And could practice. I just need some direction on what and how to do it. Kind of what I was looking for here.

But is it even worth it? Should I not waste the time/money on a mixer and just send the mics to the camera ch 1 and 2 like I've been doing? And do all mixing in post? I guess the only thing that would be limited here is the fact that I'm limited to two mics. Which so far, is all we have needed.

--------One more time. I'm not sure why you are not getting what I'm saying. A good mixer is not a waste of money. It's a valuable tool that'll last a lot longer than your new camera. At the risk of self-promotion...http://web.mac.com/tyreeford/Site/Ty_Ford_Audio_Bootcamp_Field_Guide.html

Thanks so much for your replies! You're awesome. Been lurking for a while now and searching the forums as needed. Really helped me out. Still learning.
"

You're welcome.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]