ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dual-System Sound Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Patch
Dual-System Sound Question
on Aug 28, 2017 at 5:11:51 pm

So, I'm used to working either with sound that's recorded straight to camera, or just syncing dual-system sound in a timeline (pluraleyes, multicam, etc) and then just editing timeline-to-timeline. This allowed me to always have the original sound files in the edit timeline, so when I passed them off to sound editor using OMF, it was easy.

However, I am now editing a narrative feature for the first time, which brings some new challenges. Specifically, there are not hundreds of files to sync, but thousands of files to sync. Additionally, many of those sound files have 6 or 8 tracks - which can get cumbersome in the edit timeline if you're trying to preserve files for a sound editor. Additionally, we shot with the Alexa in ARRIRAW, so we HAVE to work with proxy files.

Currently, I've sync'd the arriraw files with the sound when creating edit proxies and outputted 2-channel mixdowns of the audio to help edit work easier.

My question is: is this the right workflow that will enable the sound editor to re-link to original audio files in post? Obviously, I know that audio editor will want to work with original files so will need to replace edit scratch mixdown with original files at some point. When does that happen? Is this normal workflow? Or do editors usually sync original sound in edit application to dailies and edit with those? If I output all original tracks in uncompressed WAVs when creating proxies, do I destroy important metadata?

Also (and here's the kicker,) since I'm working in Premiere, this brings up some additional issues - like the fact that there's no one-click sync by timecode (I know there's workarounds, but all workarounds are vastly inferior to a solution that takes <30 seconds) as well as dealing with the issue that Premiere is not able to export merged clips to OMF.

Any thoughts on the proper approach to this?

Thanks!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]