ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Weird, horrible image pixelation on output video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Xavier Bonet
Re: Weird, horrible image pixelation on output video
on Aug 4, 2017 at 2:30:03 pm

Hi, Jeff, thanks a million for your response! It's really been useful. Not in the way of fixing the issue, as I'm now convinced it was a software/hardware error, but in the way of fixing my workflow and probably giving back to my life many, many hours I would no doubt continue losing in the future.

I had read from a pretty reputable source that the values I had were a bit overkill for YouTube but, overall, probably the best for keeping a master copy of videos that are not meant to be professional videos (i.e., in my case, best-possible-quality for the video originals I upload to YouTube). In fact, there I had read that the built-in YouTube export presets were not good and not to be trusted. Thanks to you, I've just proved that wrong.

I exported the trouble-segment 4 times after your answer: 1) Using the built-in "more-is-not-always-better" 😉 YouTube 1080 preset; 2) Using my previous values but un-checking both Max options; 3) Using my previous values (Max options checked) and upping the Max bitrate to 35; 4) A control using my previous values as-is.

So, first of, none had the horrible pixelation issue. Which lead me to believe that it wasn't really and issue of the scene or its complexity, at least per se, but rather an error of the software/hardware that occurred when it was rendering that part or that part's complexity when it had already been rendering 70% of the video (i.e., the tired-computer syndrome, I guess one could call it...)

Next, to my surprise and chagrin (for all that time I had wasted waiting for my 2GB+ videos to export) the best output was... the "more-is-not-always-better" YouTube 1080 preset... 😒 Yes, I inspected the details and it had more definition, especially in the borders of things. Which is really surprising, as it has a little over half the bitrate, no Max options checked, only one pass, etc., etc. To my mind, there's no reason why it should be better, when every value chosen for output is worst than every value I had preset. But that's where your phrase comes in: "More is not always better;" in fact, in this instance, it's worse. Not only were the other three exports worse than the YouTube 1080 one, but the one with a higher Max bitrate was in fact the worst of all. Between the ones with the Max options checked/unchecked there was really no distinguishable difference, which corroborates your assertion that in my case, at least, it makes no difference, except stretching out rendering time.

So although I have yet to understand why and then fix the pixelation issue, I can tell you it's the last time I'll use anything higher than the YouTube 1080 option for my videos destined for YouTube.

So thanks again for your invaluable help!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]