ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mad Max Fury Road: Smooth Slowmo and Strobey Fast Action

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jon Shank
Mad Max Fury Road: Smooth Slowmo and Strobey Fast Action
on Aug 13, 2016 at 10:33:02 am

I figured I'd ask this here as well as it could be an editing question even more than a cinematography one.

On mad max I found this quote:
Something like 50 or 60 percent of the film is not running at 24 frames a second, which is the traditional frame rate," said Seale. "It'll be running below 24 frames because George, if he couldn't understand what was happening in the shot, he slowed it down until you could. Or if it was too well understood, he'd shorten it or he'd speed it up back towards 24. His manipulation of every shot in that movie is intense."

So, it says he decided in post to either slow or speed the frame rate.

What frame rate do you think they shot in to be able to have the option to do both?

I've like scoured the Internet and can't find any consistent opinions on this.

I've shot some test footage at 24fps and interpreted it to like 26-33 and get the nice sped up choppy effect. But if I decided I wanted to instead slow the action and still export it at 24 it wouldn't be smooth slow motion cause the clip only had 24 frames per second to work with.

So here is where I'm confused. If I wanted the option to slow down OR speed up could I just shoot the entire thing in 60 or higher?

1. Would I be able to interpret it at like 70fps to get the choppy motion in a 24p sequence or would it not look the same as native 24?
2. Would the 60 fps footage I didn't alter the speed on look bad because of premiere frame dropping to get it to 24fps?

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]