ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Transitions in Premiere more cumbersone to apply than in FCP?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

ben g unguren
Re: Transitions in Premiere more cumbersone to apply than in FCP?
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:48:28 pm

Edits are treated quite differently in Premiere than FCP. The main difference I've seen is that you can't select an edit (as you could in FCP with the V key); you consequently can't right-click on an edit. And that seems to have some limitations.

My process is to use page-up/page-down to jump to the edit I'm interested in then Cmd+D to apply the video transition and Cmd+Shift+D to apply the audio transitions. Only the active tracks will have the transition applied (and, incidentally, only the active tracks will work for the page-up/page-down hotkey, so it works out nicely). So if you had five active video tracks with an edit in the same spot, all five would have the transition applied with Cmd+D. I don't think there's a way to apply transitions en masse like you're talking about. But I've only been at Premiere for a couple months, so maybe I've missed something there....

As for audio, you've probably figured out that Premiere requires your audio type (mono, stereo, or 5.1) to match that of the timeline. So if you're inserting video with stereo audio into V1, but A1 is a mono track, then it will look to A2 instead, then A3, and so on until it finds a stereo track. If it can't find one, it will create one. PLUS the track has to be active, I believe. Very different from how FCP does it, and a little more restrictive, I'd say. But you can also apply audio effects to entire tracks, which is pretty dang awesome. (You give a little, you take a little.)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]