ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael Belanger
Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure
on Apr 15, 2016 at 4:21:57 pm

The system I am running is par for the course .. MacPro tower 8 core 2009... running Yosemite. I have the
GTX 680 which according Adobe should work. I chatted with Adobe for quite a bit this morning to basically discover that the issue is a combo of the OS, cuda driver, motherboard and the card. Well not too holes to fill there. I have discovered that the issue really becomes apparent when I have multiple sequence tab and pop back and forth. Once the screen becomes glitchy you pretty much have to restart. As well, I found using OPEN CL not CUDA seems flawless so far. Of course Adobe suggest using Mercury engine software only but how practical is that. Adobe has no formula for a good motherboard and specific GPU and OS... They don't even specifically recommend any card as the best one. SO it seems cuda cores is irrelevant these days

As a general rule, as I have been doing this for 30 years, I do a clean install to new OS on a new drive and a modest migration manually so that I can evaluate apps performance and reliability. You can find out pretty quickly that some things will work and others won't so with a working boot drive you have some flexibility. Plus I do have some clients who still use FCP 7 so it makes it easier to go back painlessly. The cuda driver in this scenario is installed through system pref using the Nvidia module.

What I cannot get over the size of this thread.. this has been an issue for a couple years it seems. You'd think by now it would not be an issue. I was also told that El Captan does not resolve anything and this seems to be focused on the CUDA driver itself. I guess now I know why some people still use FCP 7 and an old OS.

Mike Belanger
Dandelion Picture and Sound
dandelionediting.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]