ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe Rusnak
Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure
on Jun 4, 2015 at 4:09:49 pm

Just an update...I was previously getting graphics errors in many different apps. It seemed like when you open a big project that tapped into the extreme limits of your system (CPU, RAM, GPU, GPU RAM) even when a Premiere project was closed the nVidia card was still burping up pixels. Other programs were not redrawing properly. Here are my system specs:

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

I followed these instructions to uninstall CUDA completely:
DELETE the following files:
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib
REBOOT

I am happy to report that deleting these files has so far resulted in OpenCL taking over and working fine. What was curious was that my huge project actually opened faster! And the rendering wasn't that bad either. In my opinion nVidia is purely a GPU with no special powers as a result of the lack of driver support. So...its conspiracy theory time!

Maybe Apple isn't that interesting in fixing the problems with nVidia drivers? or not that interesting in cooperating with them to fix the green chip I have in my system that is supposed to make it go very very fast because? What's in Coffee Can Pro? ATI dual GPU solution! If you are a Mac purist and just can't fathom working on a PC Coffee Can Pro has to be something that looks tempting even at that exorbitant price! If Apple is counting on users that have buyers remorse for getting anything that has nVidia they can and will sell a lot more Pro machines. Just a thought.

In the meantime OpenCL is plenty fast. No more graphics errors. Screen previews work great. Element 3D previews are very snappy. It just seems like there is a psycological block when it comes to having the latest and greatest drivers to match the hardware. I know I suffered before deleting the crap that wasn't working (CUDA). Thank goodness OpenCL is available on the Mac side.

At home I have a PC with an nVidia GeForce 670 and it is plenty fast using CUDA. No errors. I doubt it is any faster than this Mac with no CUDA drivers I have here at work. I just can't see every buying a Mac personally...especially when the iMac which is the only thing I would every be able to afford doesn't have CUDA which should be a selling feature!! Hard to believe it doesn't work!!

Delete your CUDA. You will be glad you did!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]