ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jim Swinson
Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:20:07 pm

I tried removing the Cuda driver last night and not using Cuda at all and it didn't help. I was using the new Colorista III in Premiere Pro CC 2014 and my iMac froze and rebooted. For the last year this has been only happening when I used anything from Red Giant but now it happens in Resolve, Final Cut Pro X and even just watching video on the web.

The way I narrowed it down to Red Giant before was whenever I used Colorista in a project it would continually crash and freeze Premiere and a lot of times my iMac. Also when I would render out a sequence when Colorista was used on it, it would crash my machine. On projects I did not use Colorista I almost never had any issues and was always able to render out the sequence with the computer not crashing. Now as long as I just edit it's fine but as soon as I add Colorista or even Neat Video it happens pretty quickly and makes Premiere unusable. I had hoped removing the Cuda driver would help but sure enough as soon as I started to use Colorista III it crashed my machine again.

Thought I would give Resolve a try for editing but within 5 minutes the computer crashed. Tried Final Cut Pro X a couple of weeks ago and it crashed the computer every 5 minutes.

I think this has something to do with the Cuda or any use of acceleration with Nvidia cards. Back when the issue was only happening with Red Giant software I could turn the rendering to software only and it would get through renders fine but not with Cuda or Open CL enabled.

Up until today I wanted to blame Red Giant but now i'm pretty sure it's more than just their software and something else going on. When I tried Final Cut Pro X it would crash with background rendering when the video card was being used. I could hear the fan speed up and always new a crash was coming soon but was thinking at the time it was Final Cut Pro X because the only other time the system would crash was when Red Giant was used.

I did notice after the last update to Cuda is when it got really bad but now it will take a day of editing to see if we are back to just it happening with Red Giant Software. Again I think this has to do with anything that uses the Nvidia card for acceleration, the fact that even without Cuda Colorista still crashed my system because it was probably using Open CL at that point. I'm pretty sure this is not an overheating problem like I have seen suggested in other forums.

I'm using a late 27" 2013 iMac less than 6 months old with 32 gigs of ram, Geforce GTX 780m and 512 gig ssd, Yosemite 10.10.2 wtth all updates installed. I was using Cuda driver 6.5.46 released on 1/28/15

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]