Re: Premier pro is rendering slow on my Z820

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeff Schaap
Re: Premier pro is rendering slow on my Z820
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:43:16 pm

Hey All,

Thanks for your input and thoughts, they are much appreciated. I work with Eli and am one of the "daily drivers" (editor) on our systems. We ran some tests this morning and it looks like whether we are working locally or across the RAID we are reaching hardware limitations- but RAM is not one of them.

On the Z820 I put the same 20 second .DPX clip on two different timelines. One clip is located locally on a Western Digital Blue 7200 RPM drive (on a SAS/SATA controller). The other clip is a copy of the first and is located on our RAID. We have a 1GB connection to that and as mentioned before we are using NFS and not SMB (long story).

What we saw is that when we rendered the local .DPX clip all the cores showed activity (albeit low activity) and the disk I/O topped out. The RAM hovered around 4GB of usage. The render time was 54 seconds.

When we rendered the clip from the RAID all the actual cores showed activity but the hyper-threaded cores showed no activity at all. The network connection was topping out but the RAM usage again was only around 4 GB. So, this tells me that hyper-threading probably isn't turning on because the system can't get quick enough access to the files... It seems that adding more RAM to the system wouldn't have any effect at all. If I am wrong, can someone explain why?

Here is the kicker... when I render this same .DPX from our RAID, on our Mac Pro station, that is only dual Quad Xeons (HALF the cores) and 16 GB RAM, the render finishes in 53 seconds! This makes me suspect that we are hitting a network bandwidith limitation. The only difference between the MAC and PC is that the MAC is running CS6 and the PC is running CC.

Argh. I welcome your thoughts.

Jeff

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]