ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Creative Cloud (again) - Australia, Pricing and Random Thoughts

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: Creative Cloud (again) - Australia, Pricing and Random Thoughts
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:41:26 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I am a plumber, I have tools - in my toolbox, these tools directly represent my livelihood.

the idea that my toolset, the entire toolset can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor is basically insane.

plumbers do not rent pliers."

Amen!

My brother in LA had that exact scenario the other day. I'll quote some of his text msg:
[Daniel Lawrence]"Imagine going to a hardware store and suddenly being told that you couldn't buy a hammer, or saw, or... You could only rent it. What's the difference between physical tools and software tools? What makes software such a special case (easy duplication?) that the idea of ownership should go away?"
It's a great question.

I've said this before but it bears repeating -- software rental not only means your entire toolset "can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor", so too can your access to the digital files you've created with these tools. These files are your property. Software rental means the software vendor controls access to your digital property, not you. That truly does sound insane.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]