ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:58:36 am

[walter biscardi] "So then your plan is to keep CS6 running forever and just never upgrade your computer beyond what you have now? "

No, but I should have the option of freezing an old machine and have it still work with the software I've already purchased.

[walter biscardi] "Software delivery is evolving, boxes and "ownership" of something tangible is going away. Apple only delivers their creative software via download. Autodesk delivers Smoke 2013 via download and they have had a licensing model for years. Davinci Resolve delivers via download. If you're this upset about the "Cloud delivery" of Adobe products then move on to something else because it's not going away, so either evolve with the product line, or go find something that still delivers in boxes. Avid might be the only one left."

It's not about physical boxes. What's important is when you currently buy software from Apple, Autodesk, Blackmagic, and yes, even Adobe, it keeps working when you're done paying for it.

The language in this thread is a bit confusing. We're discussing two separate concepts that are getting mixed together.

1) Electronic delivery vs physical delivery

2) Software ownership vs software rental

I have no problem with electronic delivery. I prefer it. It's how I upgraded to CS6 from CS5.5

I have zero interest in software rental. None. There's only downside in my situation from my POV.

It has nothing to do with cost. It has everything to do with who controls access to the tools my business depends on. And it has everything to do with who controls access to the documents I own that I created with those tools. I'm not willing to give away that control. No way.

Here's a a thought experiment for you. What if FCP Legacy was a subscription service? What if when Apple EOL'd it in 2011, they decided to flip a switch and turn it off? Or what if they gave a year and then switched it off? How would that work out for everyone? You can laugh and say they'd never do such a thing but with a subscription service model, nothing prevents that exact scenario from happening. The only thing we're left with is trust that the software vendor won't jack up prices or cut us off from our documents (either accidentally or intentionally). I think we've all learned hard lessons over the years about software vendors and trust. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer "Trust, but verify."

[walter biscardi] "As for the monthly subscription, you better believe everyone else is looking at Adobe's model right now and trying to figure out how to make it work for their own software, especially software that costs in the same range or more. I expect by 2014 just about all of the major players will have some sort of a Cloud Subscription model in place. Adobe is just leading the way on that among the major manufacturers."

Perhaps, but I predict a huge backlash for software companies that try to force a rental model without providing any options for perpetual licensing. Case in point, Microsoft, who've already had to backtrack on licensing terms for Office 2013/365 because people hated it.

Software subscriptions make sense for a lot of situations. But there are also plenty of situations where they are completely inappropriate. As long as we all have a choice, everyone wins.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]