ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 7, 2013 at 7:13:46 pm

[Michael Hendrix] "Tom, I can see your point, however, when you think about the price, at $50 a month, it would take 3 years to catch up to the price of the production suite. In those three years, you could go through 3 versions of upgrades. Not to mention the fact that you are getting the Master Collection at that price which I think would take another year.

I am of the mindset that if everyone were on the subscription, why would Adobe have to wait for a specific, timed release of a new version. They wouldn't make anymore money on it because they would have everyone's monthly subscription fees."

Unfortunately this math only applies to those who work in single-user shops and don't have existing software.

Here's our issue with the cloud:

We're a small shop, 3 workstations/edit bays, many users depending on who's working on what project. We have two copies of CS^ Production Premium and 1 copy of the CS6 Master Collection. We've been upgrading since CS3 in most cases. That means we already have an investment in the software and in the twelve or so months that have elapse since the release of CS6 the averaged-out monthly cost of a CS6 SEAT (note - not USER) is about $29. The Master Collection seat is in the ballpark of $45.

Adobe wants us to pay $70 PER USER (with a one-year commitment per user) for a business creative cloud membership and doesn't take into account sunk costs in the software. Since one edit bay may have three different users at any one time, some on a project for a month, some for a year, etc. the cloud model is still too inflexible for us and I imagine the issues only get worse the bigger the team. If I had to foot a $210/month bill for three users on a single machine, I'd turn my back on Adobe pretty quickly.

Thankfully I still can buy the perpetual license.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]