ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tom Daigon
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 7, 2013 at 2:49:55 pm

You bring up some good points Walter. The only issue that really concerns me is the loss of the ability to use the program if for some reason I need to stop my subscription. I guess Im somewhat old fashioned about this.

Walter-"Well, yeah you can edit with it forever provided you stop upgrading your computer / hardware at the last point the software is stable."

As I understand it, I cannot edit forever with CS Next if I stop paying the monthly fee since I will loose activation of the software.

I really like Walter Soyas solution which is rooted in Avid and Autodesk subscription models.

I think that Creative Cloud is a great option to have, as it lowers the upfront cost to zero, and as I realistically don't have the option of not upgrading from an interoperability standpoint.

I think perpetual license is a great option to have, as it carries no recurring fees.

There is a middle path. I prefer the maintenance model that companies like Autodesk and Maxon use: you buy into the software, then you pay a regular maintenance/subscription fee. As you as you're paying, you get updates. If you stop paying, everything you have licensed to that point is still perpetually licensed. If you want another update, you're going to have to pay retail for it, or pay extra to get back on subscription.

I think maintenance is the best of both worlds. The customer gets regular updates and doesn't feel locked in. The developer gets a regular revenue stream. I'd love to see Adobe offer something like this.

I know lots of other folks have the same concern as I do on this issue. Knowing how good Adobe is at listening to its customers, Im hopefull they can address this one in a manner that makes everyone happy.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]