ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardi
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 7, 2013 at 2:36:02 pm

[Tom Daigon] "When I purchased the disks for CS6 I can edit forever with that software.

If I stop paying rent on the Cloud, I can no longer edit at all.

Im not sure why so many folks are so easily suckered into thinking monthly subscription payment is a good thing with issues like these."

Well, yeah you can edit with it forever provided you stop upgrading your computer / hardware at the last point the software is stable. So now you're going to be stuck run outdated hardware to support really outdated software. Not saying it's not possible as I still get emails from people that start out, "Look I'm running Final Cut Pro 5 and I have this issue...."

The update from CS6 to CS Next is tremendous and gets rid of so many of the "annoyances" that slow down the editing process I really don't see why anyone would want to stay on 6. Adobe has been amazing in our discussions over the past year listening to our input, engaging us with their ideas and the result is nothing short of "checklist almost complete.

The POSITIVES of the Cloud are:

Must faster delivery of the product.

Lower costs since there are no physical products to make / ship.

Access to the entire family of products vs. paying a premium for specific bundles of software. Now I don't have to choose what to give up, I can have everything.

Adobe is just the first of what will be a gradual move of pretty much everything to Cloud Delivery. I have it running on two systems at the shop and my home based systems and while I was very suspect in the beginning, it's been a non-issue since I switched.

And the Activation / De-Activation to move around machines has been flawless so far too.

As for paying monthly, well as an Adobe owner you'd pay $30/month which is $360 / year. That's LESS than the upgrade Prices I paid from CS5.5 to CS6 Production Premium AND it includes everything. Far beyond what we had access to with Premium.

If you don't want to go Cloud, then don't, but honestly I really don't think the negatives are all that big an issue. If for whatever reason you're going to be out of internet access for 31 days or more, I'm sure Adobe Customer Support will have some sort of a solution for you to keep going. The positives FAR outweigh the negatives. Adobe really won me over with this concept.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Foul Water Fiery Serpent, an original documentary featuring Sigourney Weave...
MTWD Entertainment - Developing original content for all media.
"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.
"Science Nation" - Three years and counting of Science for the People.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]