Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Lawrence
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:05:18 am

[Tom Daigon] "If I stop paying rent on the Cloud, I can no longer edit at all."

Tom, it's actually worse than that. If you stop paying, you lose the ability to open your files. Sorry Adobe, this is unacceptable to me.

There are two situations where I see Creative cloud making sense:

1) Shops that need to temporarily ramp up for production. And then

[Jeff Pulera] "...if an editor leaves, business slows down, whatever, quit "renting" that seat then. You don't have the investment in software sitting on the shelf if you are not using it."

Creative Cloud is perfect for this.

2) Students or anyone on a tight budget who needs or wants to try the software now, with minimal investment.

I'm less concerned about physical media. When I initially purchased the CS 5.5 Production Bundle, I did buy physical media, but when I upgraded to CS6, I downloaded the .dmg installer and archived it on my server. I feel an archived .dmg is just as good as physical media going forward.

Regarding updates, there's no technical reason why Adobe (or any software vendor) can't digitally deliver feature updates anytime they they want. I believe development, marketing and accounting cycles are much more important in driving feature upgrade release timing than physical media manufacturing.

The question each person has decide for them self is whether they're OK with the idea of losing access to their files if they stop paying or go offline. For me, any upfront savings are far outweighed by the risks. I need to own the software my business depends on. It's just that simple.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]