ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Holmes
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 5, 2013 at 7:36:59 pm

[Tom Daigon] " I think this a a crucial time to talk about this with the recent policy changes at Adobes in regards to software ownership and distribution."

It seems to be a change within the industry as a whole, and it's the idea of software moving from being a product you buy once to a service you pay for access to. Adobe's new model seems to make software a strict pay-per-access service like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu Plus.

The middle-ground as Walter mentioned, leaves it floating in between a full-on product or a full-on service. So paying $XXX to buy the software, and then having a yearly (or monthly?) subscription contract would allow the user to choose whether they want to maintain the updates or not. If they drop the subscription then they could get back into it, but would have to some type of additional fee to get back into the subscription.

Maybe Adobe could run a full on service approach and a licensed maintenance approach. Some users may only want the seats for 2-3 months as they ramp up for a production (live event, film, location shooting, etc.) and then don't need it again for a year or two. In that case, the cloud/all-digital approach is great. The other side would be the maintenance license for people who perpetually use it - educational, corporate, broadcast, post-house, etc. and they may want to maintain a license year to year. Or they may just want to buy it once and use it as-is for 2-3 years with no subscription plan and then purchase again down the road.

I don't have the answers, but I can certainly ask a lot of questions! ;-) Hopefully Adobe reads this and has more discussions internally (or externally with a test group) as to what's best for both its business model and its customer base.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]