ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ryan Holmes
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:51:27 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "You can certainly purchase the Adobe Install Media for $25 if you want to have DVD hard copies of the software on hand."

I was (still am I guess) under the impression that Adobe is doing away with discs. As in, you will not be able to buy them in the future. However, Walter's point that you can make discs off the downloaded file makes sense and could be a way around that. But I thought Adobe was moving to an all digital solution. No more discs.

[Michael Hendrix] " am of the mindset that if everyone were on the subscription, why would Adobe have to wait for a specific, timed release of a new version. They wouldn't make anymore money on it because they would have everyone's monthly subscription fees."

The "digital is faster to update" mantra seems like it always is pitched as a benefit (Apple does it now with their App Store), but like Tom said, those that live on the "bleeding edge" tend to bleed quite a lot - incompatible drivers, software conflicts, hardware conflicts, etc. I like having the latest and greatest version after it's been tested out and patched because no software ever operates at 100%, especially not on day 1. But nobody is forcing you to download and install the update, so you could just wait a bit I suppose.

I guess you're correct that this wouldn't tie Adobe down to a set release schedule, but they do seem squarely set on a new showing at NAB with release in May/June of the same year. In between the "updates" are just bug fixes, not major upgrades. The only companies I see doing major upgrades between NAB has been Apple with FCPX and Blackmagic with Resolve. Avid, Autodesk, and Adobe usually just roll out small patches for things. Major updates are left on a yearly cycle at this point.

[Walter Soyka] "I don't always lose Internet connectivity, but when I do"
[Walter Soyka] "I don't always re-install, but when I do"
[Walter Soyka] "I don't always drop my subscriptions, but when I do"

Walter this sounds the Dos Equis "Most Interesting Man in the World" lines. Maybe we could change it to the most interesting editor in the world..., ;-)

[Walter Soyka] "I think maintenance is the best of both worlds. The customer gets regular updates and doesn't feel locked in. The developer gets a regular revenue stream. I'd love to see Adobe offer something like this."

I think Walter is exactly right here. This is the "middle ground" and also where I'd like to see Adobe move. As Walter said, it's nearly identical to the Autodesk solution, which I like.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]