ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Cloud drawbacks as I see them.
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:10:38 pm

I'll share a few thoughts of my own on the matter.

Regarding "I don't always lose Internet connectivity, but when I do, I prefer for my software to continue working"

From what I understand, the grace period for license check is 7 days:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5005847
2. If I am "offline" (no internet accessibility) is it true that in as little as 7 days all of my Cloud licensed applications will be revoked even if my Monthly subscription is up to date?
Per the Creative Cloud FAQ here http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html under General information the answer to question Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Suite applications? the anwer provided is: "Because your Creative Suite applications are installed directly on your computer, you will not need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. However, you will need to be online when you install and license your software, and at least once every 30 days thereafter. The software will alert you when you need to connect to the Internet for a license status check." The license status check has a 7 day grace period. So you just need to check in once every 30 days.

Regarding "I don't always re-install, but when I do, I prefer to do it from disc"

You can download the trial installers and keep them on a drive or make discs yourself, if you like. These will work fine with Creative Cloud authentication.

When installing a permanent license from disc or otherwise, you still need Internet connectivity to Adobe's servers to authorize your installation.

Regarding "I don't always drop my subscriptions, but when I do, I prefer to keep something for all the money I've put in"

I agree.

I think that Creative Cloud is a great option to have, as it lowers the upfront cost to zero, and as I realistically don't have the option of not upgrading from an interoperability standpoint.

I think perpetual license is a great option to have, as it carries no recurring fees.

There is a middle path. I prefer the maintenance model that companies like Autodesk and Maxon use: you buy into the software, then you pay a regular maintenance/subscription fee. As you as you're paying, you get updates. If you stop paying, everything you have licensed to that point is still perpetually licensed. If you want another update, you're going to have to pay retail for it, or pay extra to get back on subscription.

I think maintenance is the best of both worlds. The customer gets regular updates and doesn't feel locked in. The developer gets a regular revenue stream. I'd love to see Adobe offer something like this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]