ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Strategy for Sharing Media Between Mac and Windows Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Strategy for Sharing Media Between Mac and Windows Premiere Pro
on Dec 6, 2012 at 7:07:05 pm

Perhaps I was a little misleading (not intentionally sorry!) in my aggregation howto/info.

Aggregation will not double your point to point bandwidth. IE you wont be able to start receiving data at 2Gbps. It should increase your point to multi-point bandwidth. Think of it a bit like train tracks with each connected station being a train. You can't have one train occupy both tracks at once, but you can send two trains at the same time.

That is to say that you can send more data out to two stations at once, not 2Gbps to a single station. Activity monitor will report twice the data going out on an aggregate link in a station-to-station test but that's just because it's sending copies of the data over both ports.

There's also the control protocol overhead and other bottlenecks to think of, but you're right in wondering what you're seeing, the tools can provide what are seemingly impossible results at a glance and performance is never really doubled in practice - just increased over the single-port option.

And in our case, all of the hardware was already in place (Mac Pros with their two ports, and a 3com switch with LACP support).

Our setup here has one primary station sending out to three other edit stations, all on GbE. It's certainly still a low-cost solution to a performance problem better solved by having the primary station on a 10GbE uplink, but, like others we can't afford that yet. At the same time I don't think investing in new GbE tech is wise unless it's absolutely mandatory as 10GbE will and is, becoming more affordable all the time.

You might find some increase in performance by making sure you're using Jumbo frames but it will be modest (even minor) at best. I don't think a newer switch will make a difference though I could be wrong - switches have internal throughput limits based on their own processor and design and it would depend how good (or bad) your current switch is, but one or two connections shouldn't push the limits of even the lowliest switch.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]