ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Quadro FX 3800 or GeForce GTX 285

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

andy prada
Re: Quadro FX 3800 or GeForce GTX 285
on May 4, 2010 at 7:48:38 pm

I've just done a quick PAL DV trial with CS5 for what its worth. (I say quick because the trial version is so limited it's almost worthless.)

However, I wanted to test a couple basic claims about the Mercury Engine and the response of CS5 in general as a 64bit engine.

I took an eight layer 25" pic-on-pic section of timeline from a CS4 project and pasted into a new CS5 timeline. I then tested the difference in performance.

My specs are Corei7 950 W7 64bit / 12gb RAM X58 deluxe Mobo and 2 graphics cards - nVidia 9600GT and an ATI 4500. (No fancy graphics cards as you can see)

The CS4 timeline stuttered and spluttered over this sequence in preview (red line) mode. This is what I experience in my day to day editing at the moment.

The CS5 timeline played all eight layers smoothly without any interruption whatsoever.

Looking at task manager in the latter and one can see the CPU pushed to the limit as it played back the sequence in CS5. More importantly it shows the CPU quite happy to take on the task of the GPU if the latter is of no substance or not a supported architecture.

My conclusion is that, hefty CPU aside, an Adobe supported CUDA card can only be a further significant enhancement to an already improved playback engine. Whether you go for FX3800 or GTX285 you will likely see significant benefits. I will probably go with the GTX285 because my work is mostly HDV rather than HD and I will spend the extra funds on Boris BCC7 64bit which is imminent.

Early if encouraging signs!

One gripe.....CS5 has virtually no difference in feel to CS4. very few enhancements, additional effects or DELIGHTS. I know this is a trial version but come on Adobe...reward your loyal customers!

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]