ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: Premiere Pro Versus Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dex Craig
Re: Premiere Pro Versus Final Cut Pro
on Apr 11, 2006 at 12:27:12 am

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses. I really do appreciate the extraordinarily civil tone this thread has taken!

I already am very familiar with Premiere Pro; I've just finished a 91 minute feature (edited from 21 hours of tape) in standard definition using Premiere Pro 1.5.1. The issue we ran into is that my partner does not want to use Microsoft products, so he's a Mac man (though he prefers Linux, but the tools aren't there within our budget for compositing and other effects).

(To answer Larry's question about how well Premiere handled a feature, I'm quite pleased. We had some file organizational issues, but those were ours, not the softwares. I never had difficulty with Premiere handling the enormous amount of video, except when loading the project. The progress bar would zip across until it was about 9/10 of the way done, then stop and give no indication that the computer was even alive sometimes for as much as 5 minutes. Once the project was loaded, though, it ran very nicely. Oh, and we used an off-the-shelf HP machine with no specific video card. It's a P4 with a gig of ram, but nothing special.)

So, for our complex, effects-laden sci-fi action adventure, we edited on Premiere and did much of the FX work in AE on the PC, but much of it was also done in AE on the Mac. Moving the AVIs from the PC to the Mac and getting AE to know what to do with them was a major work flow snag.

Given that my partner won't move to a windows machine, I'm contemplating moving to FCP for the next project we do to improve the workflow. We're planning on working in HDV, so I'm expecting that I'll need to upgrade my hardware, regardless of which software package I use.

Everyone's responses here have been very helpful. I'll be playing with FCP (since my partner bought it on a lark the other day) and seeing if it's something I can jump into easily.

And if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to post my observations about the two packages once I feel I have enough basis to compare them.

Thanks, again!
- Dex
http://www.pandemoniummovie.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]