ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Re: 4:3 in a 16/9 environment - creative question if you please..

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: 4:3 in a 16/9 environment - creative question if you please..
on Jul 14, 2019 at 3:23:44 am

Hi Mark. I onlined a feature length TV doc on the Apollo program for National Geographic called APOLLO: MISSIONS TO THE MOON. We had some SD footage, a lot of HD footage that was pillarboxed, and 8K footage. How you treat this is up to you and the producers and client who's financing it...distributor or network. Our network, National Geographic, wanted the footage to be full screen. So we pushed in on the 4:3 footage and cropped off the top and bottom, and repositioned. I watched the CNN doc, APOLLO 11...and they did the same.

But, if you have a network/distributor that wants to see the full image....then I suggest keeping it pillarbox...black on the sides. Anything else is distracting, IMHO.

When I onlined a documentary on the JFK assassination....THE LOST TAPES: THE JFK ASSASSINATION, it was done in collaboration with the 6th Floor Dealy museum...as they provided all of the footage, at a discounted price. With the stipulation that we not crop the footage at all. The network wanted it full screen, but Dealy was insistent, so we just went with Pillarbox. It looked fine. I preferred that as we saw the full image...no cropping.

Doing tricks that news does where they fill in the sides with the footage layered below it, blurred and somewhat darkened...THAT to me is distracting.

So...either push in all the way, or go with pillarbox. Depending on the client wants/needs/demands.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]