Re: Considering aborting Mac

COW Forums : Lumaforge

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Considering aborting Mac
on Apr 2, 2019 at 2:51:00 pm

[Dan Powers] "What I/O are you guys using?"

All machines are without video i/o, except for the "hero" room. The iMacs/iMacPros use headphones and/or external speakers via a Mackie Onyx audio interface. We do have a "floating" BMD Mini Monitor and a Flanders that we can connect to any of these systems. The "hero" room is a Mac Pro with a BMD UltraStudio Express connected to a large client display and a TV Logic grading display. I mainly use direct HDMI from the desktop when I'm in Premiere/FCPX, but use the BMD feed for Media Composer or Resolve. Sync is indeed an issue with BMD and I would much prefer AJA, but then Resolve wouldn't give me an output. For audio in that room I use a PreSonus audio interface.

Currently all monitoring is 1080, but I'll be looking at 4K options at NAB. We shoot nearly everything in 4K, but generally finish in 1080. However, more 4K finishing is headed our way due to client request.

[Dan Powers] "What NAS are you guys using?"

We have a large QNAP rack system and will soon be adding a LumaForge Jellyfish rack system to it. All 10GigE.

[Dan Powers] "The iMac Pro keeps crashing when rendering using Adobe Media Encoder and the mouse moves but the screen is locked requiring a restart."

Strange. Ours have been rock-solid. The only issues we've had is that one of the iMPs disconnects from the QNAP intermittently. On that machine, we've switched to a Sonnet Solo adapter instead of the built-in 10Gig port. After Effects does run from QNAP, however you'll often get better results working locally and then moving files back to QNAP for later access and storage. However, we work both ways in AE.

[Dan Powers] "Not repeatable outside of Adobe software."

Are you current on everything? We are on 10.13.6 on all machines (not Mojave), but on the most recent Adobe CC builds.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]