Sony NXCAM (HXR-NX5) major (?) problem

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Adam Welz
Sony NXCAM (HXR-NX5) major (?) problem
on Feb 16, 2010 at 2:03:21 pm

Hi All

I am one of the first normal mortals to have received a new NXCAM (HXR-NX5U, pre-ordered and received into my hot little hands on Friday 5 Feb). The cam's serial is 110136.

I've been shooting random bits and pieces for the last week to get a feel for the camera. Yesterday, while just over a minute into a shot, the frame suddenly froze with the message 'buffer overrun' or 'buffer overload' (I don't remember the exact term) on the screen for a few seconds. The screen then went black with small letters in the middle saying 'clip recovery in progress' or something like that. The camera then remained frozen for a few minutes -- even after I turned the main power switch
off. This message remained on the screen until I got fed up and removed the battery to shut it down.

When I restarted the camera, the touchscreen gave me the option to choose to recover the clip, to which I said 'yes' -- but this just cycled back to the same screen three times before finally coming back to the same black screen with the 'recovery in progress' -- which I had to stop again by pulling the battery off after turning the power switch off did nothing.

When I restarted again there was no option to recover the clip again -- and no sign of the clip at all on either the SD card or either the FMU128 unit, to which I was recording simultaneously.

I had a problem a little like this on the first day I had the unit when I tested it by turning the power off while shooting a clip. When I turned it on again it offered me the option to recover the clip, but
then the camera just froze with a black screen with 'recovery in progress' or whatever in the middle, which remained for a few minutes, making the camera totally unresponsive, until I pulled the battery
off. That time, when I restarted the unit, the clip was present in the menu as if nothing had happened.

I did not think too much of it the first time the cam froze up in 'recovery mode' as I had purposefully disrupted the cam's operation by turning it off while recording a clip (something that it should just have handled easily, in restrospect). But the second time I was just shooting normally -- I'd shot a whole bunch of short clips in the preceding half-hour with no issues.

Obviously, this is freaking me out -- if this 'buffer overrun' and freeze-up ever happens during a proper shoot, I am totally at a loss -- not only did the camera stop recording, but it froze (thus becoming utterly useless) AND I could not recover the clip.

I was shooting in 1080/30p mode on to a SanDisk Extreme 30MB/s class 10 SDHC card (16GB capacity) -- which should be more than fast enough to handle the bitrate of the NXCAM. There was also plenty of space on the SD card and the FMU128 unit. I pre-formatted all memory in the camera as advised in the manual before use.

At this point it's impossible to say what's causing this error -- but it seems to me to be a software glitch, hard as it is to believe that Sony would release a pro product without testing it very thoroughly. Any ideas? Is there something else that might be causing the issue?

Anyone else got an HXR-NX5 yet? Anyone else had similar issues with EXCAMs?

Can we start a dedicated NXCAM forum here? Are there any other NXCAM forums on the web (I can't find any)?

Help!!!

Adam Welz

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]