Re: NX5u dropping 4 frames of audio after 30 minutes

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

john lenihan
Re: NX5u dropping 4 frames of audio after 30 minutes
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:29:06 pm

Eric,

In actuality, the camera doesn't create a new file every 12 minutes, it creates it every time it gets to 2Gig file size. So the higher the resolution, the shorter the clip. I shoot at 1920 x 1080 x 60i

I use the clips as they come from the camera, I just take them right off the camera, the mts files. If you look at the files as the are on the storage media, you should see the size is 2 gig max.

If you use the Content Management Utility that came with the Sony, to get the files from the storage media, it will concatenate the files into one long one. This is easier to edit, however masks the issue.

If you use the Cineform codec before editing, it will concatenate the files into one long one.

I am not familiar with how you are processing the files before FCP, but I suspect that it may be concatenating the files.

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 10. This allows me to take the files directly from storage card and drop them into the editor. When I tell the program to lay out the files according to the embedded timecode, it leaves the one or two frame gap between clips.

Remember, loosing two frames every 12 minutes is not noticable at all in itself.

It is only an issue with multicam shoots, or where you have audio being recording on a different device like the zoom recorder and the event is say over an hour. Like a 3 hour dance recital or play or concert. In those cases I might have 2 cameras with 4 tracks of audio plus the zoom h4n with 4 more tracks of audio, and after one hour the audio is noticably out of sync between the audio on the two cameras and the separate device.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]