FCP eSata RAID & storage reccs and workflow, Macbook Pro user

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Julia Brown
FCP eSata RAID & storage reccs and workflow, Macbook Pro user
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:36:03 pm

Hello everyone.
This is my first post. I'm an artist, make video, and edit my own work. I've seen frequent variants of this question, but am finding the need to ask, all the same, so thank you for your patience. I've previously been editing miniDV on a pre-Intel G5, so I've got a learning curve here working with a tapeless format. What storage workflow would you recommend for a Macbook Pro (17", maxed out, Fall 2010), FCP 7, and Canon D7 dSLR? I use a fair amount of audio and video filters and graphics in the pieces, all single camera, 5-25 min. length so far. I'd like to invest in a system that anticipates increasingly more complicated, (possibly multicam, etc) workflow in the future. My budget ceiling is $3K, but would be happy to spend less.

Question Part 1:
I'm planning to get an eSata card, and will have an offsite backup drive. Additionally, what are the speed/security/cost pros and cons of

RAID 0 + ?# of external drives for backup
vs. RAID 1 + ?# external drives
vs. RAID 5 + ?# external drives
vs. a jbod configuration

What about products like OWCs RAID 0+1? Who makes a RAID 1+0? I understand that RAID 0 offers speed rather than redundancy, and requires backup. Obviously I am open to any other configuration you might prefer that will cost less than $3K. Is there any advantage of using SSDs for any of these functions? As externals or jbod? Will they just slow things down?

Question Part 2:
After I have these awesome, fancy drives, where should media, scratch, project files, etc go?

Question Part 3:
Is there anything else I would be better off investing some the rest of my budget in? Like a tape drive or I don't know what? Any other tips and tricks for me?

Thank you!

Julia

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]