Re: Thoughts on the Drobo 5DT?

COW Forums : RAID Set-Up

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nathaniel Cooper
Re: Thoughts on the Drobo 5DT?
on Sep 28, 2016 at 12:35:41 am

Hey Travis,

Little late to the party on this one, but I think I can chime in on a few things that have not been said... To everything said, so far in this thread, yes, I totally agree with all.

If you need fast storage, and nothing more. Then you have mentioned two good options. QNAP is newer and just on the cusp of playing in the professional world, but I know a few people that have used it with success in professional editorial applications, it's not feature rich, but for sharing some HD files, it can be a great lower cost option. Facilis has been in that game a lot longer and will be able to offer higher performance, but you'll spend a good bit more and in my opinion, they have really not done much development at all to their product in the last 5 years, they are still running their systems on a Windows 7 OS, which to me is absolutely nuts and is a sign of not committing to moving your product forward.

That said, I am a firm believer in the fact that nearly every user I've been part of deploying shared storage with (well over 1000 sites over the last 15 years) needs 3 core things. 1) Shared Storage 2) Asset Management and 3) Backup/Archive capabilities.

There are a lot of reasons for needing all 3 technology functions. This is the reason I work at and push ProMAX Platform, as our whole existence is based on building all 3 core technologies into a single product. Regardless, I would recommend digging a little deeper into the various products on the market, almost all of the vendors that are in the facilis price range (SNS, Editshare, ProMAX) offer some of those required features beyond shared storage, which in my experience you will need.

Good luck and hit me up if you have any questions.

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems
nathaniel@promax.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]